Light socket adaptors are the perfect solution if your house does not have sufficient sockets and you do not want to get extension cords. However, there is no denying that if you decide to use light socket adaptors, you will have to take some precautions. But are light socket adapters safe?

Don’t worry; light socket adapters are known to be safe for the most part. However, you will still need to consider where these sockets will be placed and how much load each one will carry. This is crucial, as any mix-up can cause your entire house to go up in flames. Remember to always be attentive when dealing with electricity.

If you have decided to get light socket adapters, here are a few things you must keep in mind to stay away from disaster and keep your family safe.

How many watts can a light socket handle?

Unlike ordinary sockets, light socket adapters are not formulated to carry an excessive load. They can usually only carry 60 watts, so you need to use them wisely. This means that you cannot put a 100-watt bulb in a 60-watt socket.

This is mainly because the socket ends up transmitting a higher amount of current than can be handled. This leads to a higher generation of heat, which can, in turn, melt elements present in the interior portion of the socket.

When this happens, the adapter can blow up and cause a fire. Moreover, this also comes with the risk of electrocution. Due to this reason, a light socket adapter cannot be used to power a washing machine, oven, space heater, or any appliance that requires too much power.

However, it can be used to turn on light appliances, such as phones, lamps, and even computers – as long as the device does not use an excessive amount of electricity, you do not have to worry.

Light Socket Adaptors Should be Used in a Proper Location

Most individuals will make use of adaptors by turning light sockets into outlets. This is mainly done when they do not have wall outlets available in their house and cannot think of anything else to do. This is why the available light sockets need to be used.

Now, don’t get us wrong – this is not an issue as long as the light sockets are located close to the ground or along the wall. However, a light socket on the ceiling should never be converted into an outlet as this can lead to a major problem.

Even though you can utilize an adaptor on the light socket located on the ceiling, gravity becomes an issue. When an electrical plug is attached to a light socket on the ceiling, the plug can become loose. It can even fall out of the outlet, and you may have to deal with an arching issue.

Hence, make sure that the plug is secured properly and does not randomly fall out during the day.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1.    Is there a risk of electrocution from a light socket?

Absolutely. You can always get electrocuted when working with a light socket, which is why we urge you to be careful and keep children away from the socket. It is best to baby-proof your house in case of young kids or pets.

When a bulb is screwed into a socket, electricity is funneled into the bulb using the contact points in the socket. The bulb then converts current into electricity. If you were to remove the bulb and accidentally make contact with the points, you could easily get electrocuted.

2.    Can a light socket be left empty?

While a light socket can definitely be left empty, it poses a number of risks, such as electrocution. Contact points in the light socket help transmit electricity. Similarly, outlets have contact points, but they are not visible. Only a professional can gain access to them. In a light socket, the contact points are bare. This means an unsuspecting child can easily touch it and get electrocuted if he sticks his fingers in.

Moreover, there is always a high risk of fire. If dust or lint gets close to the contact points, a fire will erupt. Similarly, even if an insect or pet gets too close, it will die of electrocution. If you are not careful and you drop a newspaper close by, you risk your entire house going up in flames.

3.    Can you Convert a Light Socket into an Outlet?

Yes! If you know how to work with electricity, you can easily turn a light socket into an outlet. However, you need an adaptor. You must begin by cutting off the power to the light socket. We don’t mean that you should only switch the light off. Instead, turn the circuit breaker off. To ensure that no power is running through, use your tester.

Then, take the bulb out and put it in the adapter. Mostly, you will only need to twist the adapter like a bulb. You can even get rid of the light fixture and instead use a receptacle.

This process can be difficult to handle on your own. If things get too complicated, it is best to find a local electrician who can provide you with his professional services and get the light fixture re-wired into the outlet.

Remember, professional help is always better than working with electricity yourself. You could make the slightest mistake in wiring and put your entire family at risk.